Monday, August 16, 2010

Surprise! We actually pulled it off!

So after being away from family for over 3 months, we finally had a wonderful excuse to go home this past weekend: Chris's Mom's 50th birthday! 

His Dad called 2 weeks ago and told us he wanted to have a big surprise party for her, and wanted all the family to come home and surprise her; on top of a large surprise party for her on Saturday night.  Well, I LOVE surprise parties...I threw Chris one basically every year until this past year, tried to throw one for MY Mom's 50th, and have thrown them for multiple friends in high school. So naturally, we were thrilled to get to go home for a big surprise!

Well, being that I have part of Jolyn Pearce's DNA in me, I "pulled a Nana" before the party planning even started.  Tuesday morning a co-worker texted me and asked if I could work that Saturday for her - she had texted me with a "media message' and for some reason, my phone just doesn't handle those very well. So I backed out and started a new text that said, "No I'm so sorry I can't - its Chris's Mom's big Surprise birthday weekend in Huntsville!"...but who's number did I put in? Not Hillary's - but of course Renee, Chris's Mom's. STRAIGHT to her. What a "Nana Move".

Well, Steve (Chris's Dad) was quick to think up an excuse - making her think that us just coming home for the weekend was the big surprise, instead of giving away the whole huge party!

So Friday morning, we packed up and headed to Chris's parent's house.  AHHH so good to be home!  She was shocked and excited! And Mema even brought dinner so no one had to really cook! It was so nice.  
This is how Chris spend the majority of Friday. He had worked all Thursday night, and that large meal didn't help keep him awake!
Then we watched a little slideshow, and Chris and I got souveniers that his parents bought us when they went to Michigan this summer...i got super cute moose PJ shorts, and Chris got boxers with a picture of a bear shaking off water that says "SHAKE IT"...he later came down in his  Devon Banks robe and modeled the boxers for us. So kind.
Chris in his uber short Devon Banks robe & brand new boxers.
Then Saturday morning Chris and I got up to go watch my youngest sister play soccer. She scored her 1st goal too!  Then Ginger (sister-in-law) and I went shopping at Bridgestreet, along with some frozen yogurt, and just general girl time. It was so good - I've missed her while she was in Michigan!
Ashley playing soccer!

That night we all went to Macaroni Grill for Renee's birthday (and DANG was it yummy). Enjoyed coloring on the tables like 5 year olds, hearing a cheesy "Italian Birthday" song (slash, literally "Happy Birthday" in Italian, all churched up), and eating an entire bowl of olives.
Bday Table Writing. Incase you can't see, it said "I'm Vintage" & "50".

Mema's points to Papaw and says "I'm with Grumpy".

 Birthday Serenade
Then Jonathan, Ginger, Chris  and I ducked out a few minutes early so we could be part of the surprise. She was genuinely surprised! (Altho, I'm not sure if it was b/c of the party, or b/c of Chris jumping out of the closet and yelling "Surprise" before anyone else had a chance to - scaring the crap out of her.)

SURPRISE!!
Greeting a few of the party guests!
Chris kicking off the "Mini Roast"
Me and my "oldest" little sister Cassie - she just got contacts! She looks so pretty!
One of my dearest friends, Paige! She came by and joined the party after  UAH soccer practice - and after dislocating her shoulder.  That's a real woman.
Sunday we went to church & then to lunch with both our families, then headed home to Ttown. 
Ashley (my littlest sister) rode with us to lunch and we sang Justin Beiber!
Chris while we sang Justin songs....such a fantastic bro-in-law.
It was SUCH a great weekend to enjoy family and friends, and a major milestone celebration! Thanks family! We love you!
-Meagan & Chris

0 comments:

Post a Comment